Steamed fish with herbs is a favorite dish in the northeast. It is a simple dish and always served with Jao Bong (pla-ra dip).
NutritionTilapia fish contains twice higher protein than chicken and pork and low fat. Essential fatty acid in the fish reduces a risk of coronary artery disease, and Diabetes mellitus, arthritis and asthma. Moreover, the fish contribute fetus’ brains.
1 Tilapia fish (pla-nin), a kind of freshwater fish
1 tbsp sliced galangal
1 stalk sliced lemongrass
5 shredded kaffir lime leaves
1 cup mix sliced cabbage and carrot
200 grams long beans, cut into 1-inch long
Ingredients for dipping sauce
15 bird eye chilies
7 red shallots
5 sida tomatoes
6 garlic clove
2 tbsp tamarind juice
1 tbsp fish sauce
½ cup pla-ra (boiled pickled fish liquid)
½ tbsp palm sugar
½ tbsp salt
1. Scale and gut the fish. Clean the fish and make two or three deep cuts on each side. Stuff the fish with kaffir lime leaves, galangal and lemongrass.
2. Lay down the fish on center of steaming plat. Set vegetables around the fish.
3. Steam the fish over high heat for 20-30 minute or until cooked.
4. Serve with the dipping sauce.
Directions for dipping sauce
1. Roast the chilies, shallots, garlic and sida tomatoes until its aromatic. Pound them thoroughly. And the tomatoes, and pound.
2. Season with the salt, pla-ra, fish sauce, tamarind juice and palm sugar.